Thursday 3 October 2013

The Value of a "Just do it" attitude: my 1st solo cycling in Cambodia

Seven years ago, for my first cycling trip in Cambodia, I did not think so much prior to go on a cycling adventure. I just wanted to do something different. I had never been in Asia, never backpacked, never cycled long distance: perfect!

I was very determined to do it my way. To start with I barely trained. Not to mention the fact I flew without a bike nor did I have any idea about where to get a good bike in Cambodia. Luckily, I did have a backpack...

In the end, I bought a 3-speed bicycle in Ankor Wat to a local family. The father and his two sons proudly customised the bike for me with two planks of wood at the rear to hold my backpack. The night before I left, with the map of Cambodia wide open on the outdoor dinner table, my host family held a reunion to help me finding the best cycling route to Phnom Penh. One of the villages they had me stop to for the night did not even exist on my map. The whole experience was a big improvisation act and it was exciting!

The first day I realised I needed constant feeding and drinking to keep the energy up. Luckily I found plenty of coconuts and bananas which I could buy from local farms stands along the way. Each time I stopped to such stand I was the local attraction. Kids came around smiling, saying "hello" and looking at me and my funny bicycle (see picture below). In the afternoon I had trouble breathing due to road dust and that's when I understood the benefits of a Khmer scarf.

The second day after I received my third marriage proposals - from boys average age 15-17 years old - I realized the concept of indepandant women had probably not reached the rural areas of Cambodia. One of them took a bit more time. He cycled behind me in silence for half an hour before asking "would you like to marry me?". From that point I decided to proactively mentioning I was married to everyone.

The next day saddle soreness and leg muscles pain kicked in. Repair a tyre??? Forget it! That's when I understood the point about  (1) training, (2) having a good bike and (3) ugly cycling shorts. Unfortunately, there was not much I could do about any of these three things at that point and I had only two choices: "bita ihop" ("get on with it" in Swedish ) or give up.


I reached Phnom Penh after 4 days and 400 km cycling. I sold the nasty bicycle as soon as I could and did not talk about cycling for a while.

A few years have past and when I am looking back, I am satisfied I made it to the end goal despite the pain. I am happy I "just did it". After all, I do have a great story to tell now.
I also gained first hand experience about a long distance cycling and valuable knowledge I used when preparing my next trips.

What do you think, is there a value to a "just do it"attitude. I'd like to read your professional or private experiences!  

No comments:

Post a Comment