Wednesday 9 October 2013

Can you really prepare for everything?

Good morning Vietnam!

I had been thinking about the value of a good preparation as my next post and finally I am not going to do that!

It's been 4 days since I left Ho Chi Minh City and I have only cycled 220 km of a 400 target. The first day, I realized my map scale was wrong and the two following days, a typhoon came my way (picture hereby).

Hence the question, can you really prepare for everything?

Last Tuesday, at 3 pm the sky went a kind of grey I never saw before. I was 35 km away from destination and decided it was time to quickly find a alternative place to stay. I got a Cab at 3:30. At 3:45 a typhoon stroke through. I had a half smile on my face: 50% smiling because I made the right decision and 50% not smiling, was the cab a safe place to be?

I put a lot of preparation into this trip. I'd estimate more than 100 hours. For start I have been doing cycling/running/yoga at least an hour daily for weeks. I also have the perfect bicycle for me, hours talking about the right frame, wheels, tyres, gears, saddle, outfit, diet, tools. Also a lot of time was spent evaluating different routes, one alternative being cycling inland along the Mekong and another crossing Laos.
And so, I knew a typhoon could come my way.

How many times have you had this situation?
... a similar one in business I mean: you plan, you know the risks and yes, the risks materialize. Sometimes things you have not considered as risk happen too.

I think preventing every issue from happening is impossible, even with the best planned project. The most important thing is how you deal with the issues, isn't it?

 I was lucky, I made it with my cab driver into 30 cm of water to an amazing hotel in a fishing village, no foreigners allowed. The Chinese sea was angry but I felt protected with the locals. The following day I took a bus to my next destination. 

Today Thursday, I arrived at beautiful Dai Lanh beach after 90 km cycling in less than 5.5 hours, all according to plan this time!


No comments:

Post a Comment